) partners with committed individuals and organizations to build safe, affordable housing for hard working families in Wake County. The need for affordable housing in Wake County is great when you consider just a few of the facts:
- More than 88,000 Wake county residents live in poverty. Including over-crowded, unsafe living conditions.
- Wake County’s median monthly rent is 18% higher than the state average.
- The hourly wage needed to afford a two-bedroom apartment in Wake County is $14.17. A minimum wage worker in Wake County would have to work 2.3 full-time jobs to afford the average rent.
- 52% of renters and 36% of North Carolina homeowners spend more than 30% of their income on housing.
The mission of Habitat Wake is to provide an opportunity to low-income families
(possibly link to: http://www.habitatwake.org/homeownership/who-qualifies/) to experience the benefits of living in safe, affordable housing. We know that changing a plot of dirt is just the first step in building a home but it’s the long-term impact to the community and the partner family who purchases a Habitat home that makes the difference.
- Habitat homeowners are more likely to become involved in the community by participating in civic organizations, community affairs, and voting.
- Children benefit with improved test scores, stability, lower dropout rates, and fewer behavior problems.
Habitat Wake addresses the needs through numerous programs and events that bring the community together to build homes and hope. One such program is Builder Blitz. This annual program originated in Wake County in 2002 and has since grown nationally to other Habitat affiliates. Builders Blitz works with the building community to build homes in a 6 day period. From frame to finish, our building partners provide their talents, dedication, and enthusiasm to complete a full house in 6 days! One such partner is Wade Jurney Homes. This organization is no stranger to making a difference in the community through their support, funding and willingness to lend a hand.
Wade Jurney along with several other building partners of Habitat Wake will build four homes in Raleigh this June. Builder Blitz 2014 will include more than 200 Habitat affiliates from around the country, who will participate within their region, to build homes during the same 6 day period. The goal is to build
Habitat Wake is proud to partner with an organization like Wake Jurney Homes who has been serving the Triangle for xx
years. Their commitment to delivering affordable, energy-efficient, top quality homes throughout NC is just one reason why they are so successful in the new housing marketplace.